Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Round of 36: Group 1

Jackie Tohn was very gritty. Love her voice. The problem was that the spandex tights and Air Jordans were corny, as was her entire performance.

Ricky Braddy could have his own movie called Opie Goes to Hollywood. Close your eyes and he's got great potential. Forgettable stage presence though.

Alexis Grace reminded me of a drag queen with all the makeup she had caked on. She is a very plain looking girl but she took it too far. The 4 judges loved her soul, but perhaps I stand alone in saying that she doesn't have as much soul as she thinks she does!

Brent Keith was on Nashville Star so I thought maybe he had a shot. He crumbled under the pressure again and is likely out of chances on the big stage. Terrible low range and a very awkward stage presence.

Stevie Wright has a very lovable personality but her performance was nothing short of a train wreck! I think she started out too low and never recovered. Awful!

Anoop Desai was one of my faves heading into this part of the show. He shared that he wanted to bring energy to the show but then contradicted himself by singing a Monica song. Disappointing but I hope he can sneak thru.

Casey Carlson of Minneapolis is cute and bubbly. I should stop there. I didn't think she belonged in the top 36 and tonight made that very clear! Brutal singing coupled with exaggerated facial and body expressions made for a verbal lobotomy!

Michael Sarver... Ouch!!! That was f@&$ing unlistenable! How did this guy get in over some of the other borderline talent? I'm hoping the wildcard will include people outside the top 36.

Ann Marie Boskovich has girl next door beauty. Isn't that truly the most beautiful? Awww... Ann Marie. That performance echoed the opening lyrics in that it was uninspired. I don't see any star quality in her, but she looks like she would be a great mom or auntie.

*Hold on!!! Ann Marie's sister is gorgeous! Wowzers!!!

Stephen Fowler busted out some Jacko moves at the beginning. That should have been the point where Simon put up his and says stop the music. What's up with these contestants tonight? Good singers are getting crushed under the live TV pressure.

Tatiana Del Torro is possibly the most annoying person EVER! I can't believe how quietly and reserved she started. Was off character for her, but it wasn't very good either. Who takes on Whitney in round 1? Dumb move. Especially when she was nowhere near where she needed to be. I think she's been coached to be more reserved. I think that's important.

*Danny is last tonight and I'm hoping he closes it out strong! He's an early front runner!

Danny Gokey has true soul. You can't invent it, you just have it or you don't. The song choice and performance weren't my favorite of his, but he still showed his brilliance in parts. He's unique and radio ready!


Top Male: Danny.

Top Female: Alexis...? (No woman stood out)

Next Best: Ricky.

Who I hope makes it through: Danny, Jackie, and Anoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment